Wednesday, November 21, 2012

When Your Manager is Afraid of You..

Kate, a 33-year-old marketing associate, sounded exhausted and confused. "It's the weirdest thing," she said. "I started my job ten months ago and got off to a great start. I launched our company's first HTML newsletter. 

I started a client service training program that got great reviews. My six-month performance review was stellar. Then two months ago, the whole thing started to go sour."

"How so?" I wanted to know.

 
"My boss has started picking at me over tiny, stupid things," she said. "He told me at my review that he was going to send me to our France office to help them build a messaging strategy, but when I asked him about it recently he said, 'That's something we have to look at down the road,' and walked away. It's like I've gone from being his favorite employee to dog meat."
"What happened between your review meeting and this week?" I asked.
"Nothing in particular," said Kate. "I'm chugging away. I got invited to speak at our annual sales meeting—"
"Hold it right there!" I said. "Who asked you to speak?"
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment